Today’s Bible verse of the day is from the New International Version, 1 Corinthians 13:4.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
What Does 1 Corinthians 13:4 Mean?
A great way to discern the meaning of 1 Corinthians 13:4 is to engage in Lectio Divina practice or bible journaling. We’ve included links to those practices below.
Paul’s words here are describing love and of course, love is a central theme for Paul in his message to the Corinthians. And, we should remember, these are his messages to us as well. Here he is sharing some of the qualities that love possesses and does not possess, so that the Corinthians, and we, may know and understand what love is and what love is not.
Here are some of the things we can interpret a few things from this verse:
- When we are patient, we are living in love.
- When we are kind, we are living in love.
- When we are envious, we are not living in love.
- When we are boastful, we are not living in love
- When we are acting in a prideful way, we are not living in love